Thursday, October 21, 2010

Hampton Silversmith 18/10 Flatware

The first house

photo: This little house in a tree on the shore of Lake Osisko, fascinates me and delights me every time I see it. It was built by the grandfather of Felix, not Crocodile Dundee, but his other grandpa, Guy, an architect at the tender heart that was fun to create something special and fun for his daughter Ariadne, who is now 21 years!

The first house

It is therefore the first house of Ariadne in the backyard with his parents. I guess it always will come back even though she grew up ... Anyway, I think if I were him, I'll talk with emotion, to meet my childhood and the indifference of those years.

If I linger today in the idea of the first house we do not forget, is that earlier in an hour ago, Isabella and Dominic will be among the undersigned, are signing all official documents that will make them the new owners. The transaction is agreed, approved and planned for months, today they are buying their first home.

My memories bring me back to early 1981 when we bought our first house, Crocodile Dundee and me. We had visited some before but this one we had rallied more than any other. We recognized it, we saw live there in each room, outside in the courtyard, the workshop-garage, everywhere. We were ready for anything.

I was 23, Crocodile Dundee, 24, but we seemed to almost 15! Moreover, our new neighbor, an elderly gentleman, quite charming, had come to welcome us in the neighborhood, one called Noranda West, the same neighborhood inhabited by Isabella, Dominic and Felix from this weekend ...

Mr. Côté had come knocking on our door to find his new neighbors. We were there with my parents, trying to paint the kitchen and dining room. It was busy with courage, good humor and energy, while continuing to talk with him, encouraged as it was, we had no time to lose. After a moment, before taking leave, he shook hands with my father and my mother, saying: "In any case, you young people who are working, it's not every day that you see that! "And then we realized that he thought my parents were the new owners of the house, Crocodile Dundee and I were brother and sister!

Our new neighbor was amazed when we told him we were the new owners. It took my parents to confirm that it was indeed true, we do not believe. He told this long story then everyone who would listen. Still, buying a single family home in that price at the time, with interest rates that bordered on 22%, it was a real madness. It should be young, full of passion and recklessness and believe that anything was possible. I remember that my father had given us advice worth its weight in gold and which we used often since. He told us: "You two? You want the same thing with all your strength? When you're two, you're very a lot! .

go back in January 1981. Newlyweds, we lived in a large home, a half duplex, with 3 bedrooms, lounge, kitchen, dining room, bathroom, basement with laundry room, workshop, large yard, good location, $ 160 months, which was quite honest and in the order of things. We bought a single family home of $ 42 000, with a quarter of the sum as a down payment, a interest rates that had been negotiated, just barely, at 17%, which was awesome. Our monthly mortgage payment, I still remember, was $ 435. Our friends told us: "But you're sick! "

You do not forget these things, we remember with humor and tenderness. Our first house, it was inhabited and renovated from top to bottom, we have been happy for 7 wonderful years. When we sold, Isabella was 18 months. Today, at age 23 she too returns while nearby, a few blocks away, as co-owner with Dominic a property where I wish them much happiness as we experienced ourselves in our first home.

0 comments:

Post a Comment